RE: Compensation of survivors (Lead Apron Dosimetry)

Nowadays, we put two dosimeters on the worker, one inside the apron and the

other on or near the head on the outside of the apron.  Then you calculate

the Effective Dose Equivalent as described in HPS N13.41-1997, applying the

inside dosimeter whole body results to the portions of the body covered by

the apron and the outside dosimeter whole body results to the portions of

the body outside the apron.  The outside dosimeter also provides lens of the

eye and skin dose numbers.

If only one dosimeter is used, it has to be outside the apron to

conservatively assign whole body, eye, and skin dose.  In addition to the

head, the upper arms and upper legs are also part of the whole body and are

not necessarily covered, especially by the shorter lead "aprons".

Just a personal observation.

Les Aldrich