Scrap metal ETC.

Hi Everyone!

Has the definition of contamination changed recently?  When I was at Oak Ridge we were taught the difference between  radionuclide contamination and non contamination.  the example given was fiesta ware.  The question posed was the dinner plate was considered contaminated or not.  The answer - which I got wrong, was that it was not contaminated.  It was a product which served its use!

This is interesting because apparently the definition has changed.  Or has it?  Nuclear bombs are not contamination? - are they in the unexploded form? No!

Just because the scrap metal comes from a Doe facility - is it contaminated when it is within the realm of background?  It seems that DOE is wasting time and money as per Susan's e-mail.  Sure one should check for contaminated metal, and treat it separately - but lets get real - scrap is scrap and by anyone's definition it is cheaper to recycle than to dig ore - process it - haul it to the... well I could go on and on and on.  We need a cost analysis on this? No!

One final thought - in the buildings I worked in @ Oak Ridge (Y-12)I would survey the concrete cinder blocks in the stairwell - there was Beta radiation coming from it. - it was not considered contamination unless someone had to drill through it. It was hitting anyone who took the stairs.

The question I pose is - what is the new definition of contamination?

I am not arguing with anyone, please know this, but I need a good definition of what is contamination - it seems to have changed since 1992.

Thanks, Tom

---

Tom Savin

Get 250 color business cards for FREE!