RE: S-35 contamination

Hi,

You have to be careful covering the exhaust hole of a centrifuge - some

students set a stryofoam rack on top of one of ours to reduce the noise, and

it caused major problems.  The rotor was pulled down somehow, and the

bottoms of the tubes were ground off against the inside of the centrifuge,

causing a total loss of sample.

Be sure to put in plenty of pinholes, and test it with non-radioactive

materials first, or you could be in for some major cleanup!

I would think screw top tubes with O-rings would be a better bet - that's

what we use for RNA isolation in a bead beater, and I've never seen one

leak.

Good luck!

		Tim Allen

		Senior Laboratory Technician / Radiation Safety Technician

		601A Bicentennial Hall

		Middlebury College

		Middlebury, VT 05753

		Phone: (802)443-5729