RE: "Watchdog group questions safety of nuclear plant"

I am sure that I don't have to remind readers of this list that "safe" is

relative, not absolute.  Objective determination of safety (as requested by

Mr. Cohen) is accomplished by estimated the risk associated with any

activity.  The calculated risk is then compared to some benchmark that

everyone understands and accepts.

For example, imagine that one considering a one time transport of spent fuel

rods on a public highway.  Assume that the risk of shipping cask rupture in

an accident during this transport is 1:10,000 and that the risk of serious

bodily injury or death from such a rupture is 1:100/person exposed from such

a rupture.  Also assume that in the event of such a rupture 20 people would

be exposed.  The risk therefore is defined as

	0.0001x0.01x20 = 0.00002 deaths or serious injuries

NUREG 1496, Volume 2, Appendix B, Table A.1 lists the fatal accident rate

for trucks at 3.8E-8/km.  If a trucker drives 50,000 miles (80,470 km) in

one year, his/her risk of a fatal accident is

	0.000000038x80470 = 0.0031

If one defines safe as less risk than that associated with a known

benchmark, it is far riskier, for the trucker, to drive 50,000 miles than it

is to make this one time shipment.

In short, there is a formalism that has been developed for risk analysis.

"Safe" cannot be quantified unless or until one can calculate and compare

risks.

Thomas L. Morgan, Ph.D.

Director, Health Physics

Radiation Safety Officer