Re: "Watchdog group questions safety of nuclear plant"

Glad you asked! My recommendation would be:

1- Recognize that there is no such thing as absolute safety

    (except in the graveyard)

2- When characterizing the safety or lack thereof for anything

     one should also be required to provide some perspective and

     discuss what they consider to be an acceptable level.

     (those who insist on achieving absolute safety can be

      dismissed as idiots)

3- Assessment of safety should include consideration not only

    of the seriousness of potential consequences, but also the

    probability for their occurrence.

    Accordingly, IMHO, Rasmussen did a fine job on the

WASH-1400 study. Perhaps some of his methodology could

be improved, but the fundamental approach was superb. If only

everyone would agree, the "impasse" would be over.

                                                                Jerry