Re: "Watchdog group questions safety of nuclear plant"

Tom,

    Reluctantly I'll pop back in from 'lurkdom': Yes, I chould have provided

more info to the list. But I was not interested in starting a debate, all I

wanted was some information. But apologies anyway for not providing additional

info. I can assure you that the AC Press reporter did have the URL for the

ACRS report and is experienced in finding info on the NRC website.

   There's a whole section of the NRC website that deals with steam

generators. You can contact Robert Fretz at NRC mailto:rxf@nrc.gov  He has a

list of related URLs on this subject. I'll contact him as well and post the

info when I get it.

    This memo that you quote was indeed referred to and read in some detail

by one of the NRC people at the public meeting. I agree that NRC and ACRS have

developed a response to the ACRS report. The concern of Lochbaum is whether

this response gets to the basic problem outlined by Hopenfeld's DPO and

confirmed by the ACRS: that the NRC has "no clue"  as to whether or not, or

when, a multiple steam tube rupture will occur.His concerns are based upon the

facts that there are several scenarios that lead to a meltdown.

   I've got to tell you, whatever your opinions of Dave Lochbaum may be, I've

found him to be very careful and conservative with any charges and concerns he

makes. The is NOT anti-nuke, is IS pro-safety. He believes that nuclear plants

can indeed be run safely. His role at UCS is as a nuclear safety engineer.

    Finally, I offered you Lochbaum's info because they were on hard copy

only, so that those who are interested could check it out.

   Finally, finally, I really did just want to get your opinions on these

matters. I'm NOT interested in stirring up a debate on radsafe. You have your

positions and concerns, I have mine. I understand from my last go round, that

there are 1000s of you on this list who want to keep list volume down, which

is why I asked that people respond directly to me off-list.    I've gotten

some excellent repsonses and I appeciate all of you who took the time to reply

to me offlist.

   I'll be glad to correspond with anyone off-list.

peace

norm

--

Coalition for Peace and Justice and the UNPLUG Salem Campaign; 321 Barr Ave.,

Linwood, NJ 08221; 609-601-8537 or 609-601-8583 (8583: fax, answer machine);

ncohen12@home.com  UNPLUG SALEM WEBSITE:  http://www.unplugsalem.org/

COALITION FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE WEBSITE:

http:/www.coalitionforpeaceandjustice.org   The Coalition for Peace and

Justice is a chapter of Peace Action.

"First they ignore you; Then they laugh at you; Then they fight you; Then you

win. (Gandhi) "Why walk when you can fly?"  (Mary Chapin Carpenter)