RE: Solid-Tumor Mortality in the Vicinity of Uranium Cycle Facilities

 Thanks for the response , but..

The refernces are incorrect. Regarding the Y-12 mortality study of Loomis &

Wolf the abstract does not specify the SMR for kidney cancer not the

confidence limits. I'll try to locate the original article . Checoway et al

don't mention kidney cancer at all in the abstract. . A recent article from

ORAU -" External radiation exposure and mortality in a cohort of uranium

p[rocessing workes" by Dupree-Ellis E et al.in Amer J Epidemiol 152:91-95,

2000 claims an ERR estimate of 10.5 per Sv (based on 10 cases) . I'll try to

read the paper tomorrow. the rest are reports that I have no access to , so

I can't verify the significance of their results.

>http://www.messenger-inquirer.com/news/kentucky/3356982.htm

I mistrust both  journalists and politicians , therfore this source is

irrelevant to my question

> http://www.antenna.nl/wise/uranium/uhm.html

No reference to kidney cancr in this  domain.

> There are other opinions (no observed effect) as at:

> http://www.house.gov/judiciary/6158.htm

> As of June 1999, CDC/NCEH were evaluating effects of exposure of

> uranium at

> Fernald, including kidney cancer, see:

> http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/radiation/phase2/whatnext.pdf

> I haven't seen any followup yet on the Fernald study.

We'll have to wait and see . Meanwhile I am not convinced that we should

relate kidney cancer to uranuim exposure on epidemiological evidence.

> Jim Otton

Thanks again and I'll follow up the literature further.

Dov (Dubi) Brickner  M.D.

Beer Sheva , ISRAEL