RE: Kursk: Potential nuclear hazards

During operation, a PWR's pressurizer contains water covered by a steam

bubble - not pressurized noble gasses.  By either expanding (by electric

heaters) or collapsing (by water spray) the steam bubble, the pressurizer is

capable of regulating the reactor coolant system's (RCS) pressure.  This

steam bubble "goes away" during RCS cool-down/depressurization.  This is

what is commonly termed "going solid."

I do not know why the Kursk's reactors required pressurized gas that would

still be present after shutdown/cool-down.  Maybe it has something to do

with the control rod drive units.  Control rods entering a reactor core from

underneath normally utilize pressurized gas to drive rods during a reactor

scrams (however, I don't know if the pressurized gas is used for every

reactor scram or just those coincident with a loss of AC power).

Rodney Bauman, CHP, RRPT

Bechtel Jacobs Company, LLC

Project Health Physicist

ETTP and Y-12 Waste Operations