RE: Kursk: Potential nuclear hazards

On Wed, 5 Sep 2001, Bauman, Rodney L. (84U)  wrote:

> During operation, a PWR's pressurizer contains water covered by a steam

> bubble - not pressurized noble gasses.  By either expanding (by electric

> heaters) or collapsing (by water spray) the steam bubble, the pressurizer is

> capable of regulating the reactor coolant system's (RCS) pressure.  This

	-My apologies for conjecturing that the pressurizer may be

operated with a noble gas rather than with steam. Obviously I am not an

expert on details of reactor design. I have now (today) studied the

operation of the Westinghouse pressurizer in some detail and have a much

better understanding of it.

			-Bernie Cohen