Re: medical misadventures

Thank you to both Bill and Lily for addressing this issue. Having

known Bill for many years, I know where he is coming from. I applaud

his persistence for bringing these incidents to light, focusing

direction at Lessons Learned, and, accountability. We in the nuclear

power reactor world had this beaten into us. It IS a way of doing

business. We need to document all of these types of incidents,

analyze for root cause(s) and then implement appropriate

countermeasures, and more importantly, evaluate and follow-up on a

continual basis, to ensure that the process is working. Radiation

Safety is every employee's responsibility. Therefore, I don't care

whether it's the RSO, medical physicist or department head who takes

action. It doesn't matter since they are ALL part of either the

problem, or, the solution.

The medical community was up in arms when Part 35 was raised. Let me

assure you that if appropriate actions aren't taken to eliminate

these continuing incidents, the NRC and states will respond, AS THEY

SHOULD.

We're talking about people and their lives. These incidents should

never be taken lightly, and, inaction is totally unacceptable.

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100

Director, Technical				Extension 2306

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service		Fax:(714) 668-3149

ICN Pharmaceuticals, Inc.			E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/scperle