RE: medical misadventures

I think what Bill is getting at is that the "corrective actions" are

ineffective.  In the nuclear power business we have another person

independently verify key variables before proceeding with a task.  We do

peer checks or independent verifications for many things that do not

directly impact dose to the public.  As a minimum, you would think that any

activity that directly impacts dose to a person would be verified by another

person.  Even set some minimum dose threshold for a verification.

We're all sure that those who committed the error had good intentions and

we're all sure that some form of independent verification would probably

prevent the occurrence of >95% of these problems.

I think the biggest barrier to performing such a simple and effective

preventive action is cost.  The cost of having another person around

periodically for routine verifications is not seen as being worth the

benefit.  It takes something like fines from the NRC to make the

cost/benefit calculation worthwhile.  I'm sure the insurance companies also

wouldn't want to give the provider the extra $20 for performing the

verification, but that would probably be a good place to start.

Glen Vickers

This e-mail and any of its attachments may contain Exelon Corporation

proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject

to copyright belonging to the Exelon Corporation family of Companies.

This e-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity

to which it is addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient of this

e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution,

copying, or action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments

to this e-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have

received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and

permanently delete the original and any copy of this e-mail and any

printout. Thank You.