RE: medical misadventures

What's reasonable in a nuclear reactor setting isn't necessarily reasonable

in a nuclear medicine setting.  For therapeutic doses of radioactive

material, a second set of eyes is already required.  For the vast majority

of diagnostic procedures, the risks are trivial compared with the risks of

transporting the patient to the facility.  I don't necessarily agree that

more regulations and oversight are required purely becuase mistakes have not

been 100.0000% eliminated.

Finally, when I was an RSO at a hospital, I took it upon myself to make sure

the nuc med techs were aware of mistakes made at other institutions, and had

the opportunity to learn from them.  Of course, we never had such

opportunities at our hospital while I was there ;-) !

Phil Hypes

Los Alamos Radiation Consultants

laradcon@hotmail.com

505.920.9712