RE: medical misadventures

Bill

The other side of this argument is that a fair number of human errors that

end up as medical misadminstrations are violations of regulations that have

no place being burdened upon licensees in the first place. No "major event"

has even occurred. The "errors", in fact, have no impact on the health of

the patient involved. The range of effectiveness for most therapeutic doses

are enormous and whether you are off by 20% or more is irrelevant to the

outcome, or better yet the administration of radiation is a means of

providing "additional assurance" that the main treatment method (i.e.,

surgery) is successful, yet by regulation the "error" is a reportable

misadministration. No harm, no foul, I say!

The rad protection program at the facility is, more often than not, just

fine and the misadministration is not a valid indication of the quality of

work being done by the Med Physicist/RSO at these facilities.  Med HP's

spend their entire day trying to improve "human performance", but like

everyone else they have to allocate limited resources.  I would rather see

them spending their time with the CT Scanner, Mammography Unit and LINAC and

other X-ray sources since there are far more medical procedures conducted

with these forms of radiation than in the busiest Nuc Med Dept.

If its really about trust, and not dose, then I suggest the medical folk

stop being required to wave red flags when the patient impact is negligible

in the first place.

more than ever, the thoughts expressed are mine, mine, all mine! I'm with

the government, I'm here to help........

Daren Perrero, Health Physicist

perrero@idns.state.il.us