RE: medical misadventures

>  For the vast majority

> of diagnostic procedures, the risks are trivial compared with the

> risks of transporting the patient to the facility.  I don't

> necessarily agree that more regulations and oversight are required

> purely becuase mistakes have not been 100.0000% eliminated.

To expand on Phil's comments:

(1) Not all procedures require additional scrutiny. However, those

procedures that involve either a planned significant dose, or, the

potential for a significant dose to the patient, they should be

identified, and, a process be in place to validate that what is

required, is actually performed. The degree of effort has to be

commensurate with the degree of risk, obviously.

(2) Nobody is expecting 100% elimination of incidents. That should be

the goal. With the appropriate QA/QC procedures implemented, 100% is

attainable. If not, then new correction actions, counter-measures are

required to address what new factor has failed.

(3) While none of us agree that regulatory intervention is required

when there isn't 100% safety record, if the incidents continue (as

they have been), regulatory intervention will occur. I for one am in

agreement with that. If an industry can't monitor and police itself,

the regulators should step in and do whatever it takes to "get their

attention."

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100

Director, Technical				Extension 2306

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service		Fax:(714) 668-3149

ICN Pharmaceuticals, Inc.			E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/scperle