Re: medical misadventures

As a former RSO in Texas, I made it a personal point to review NRC industry

events, especially since I was providing radiographer training and wanted to

include them in my classes. However, I was also acutely aware that

everything I did to comply with Texas regulations was done on my own--my

predecessor had left invalid postings, missing sources, a radiation area in

the parking lot when the calibration source was exposed, etc. At the time,

my employer said he'd rather take his chances with the regulators than be

shut down to hang shielding, because it was costing him money. But that

wasn't an option as long as my name was on the license and I held the job

title. (It also told me all I needed to know about my employer.) We stayed

till midnight hanging lead on the walls. Compliance, in many cases, is a

choice. Some facilities are more diligent at it than others. The others only

comply when it's too painful not to.

Jack Earley

Radiological Engineer

Enercon Services, Inc.

6525 N. Meridian, Suite 503

OKC, OK  73116

phone: 405-722-7693

fax:       405-722-7694

jearley@enercon.com

This e-mail and any of its attachments may contain Enercon Services, Inc.

proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to

copyright belonging to Enercon Services, Inc. This e-mail is intended solely

for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed.  If you

are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that

any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the

contents of and attachments to this e-mail is strictly prohibited and may be

unlawful.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the

sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this

e-mail and any printout.