RE: medical misadventures

At 04:48 PM 9/10/01 -0400, Yusko, James wrote:

>In the medical field, physicians are prescribing radiation either to

>diagnose or to treat a disease in a human patient.  Yet there have been many

>instances where something went wrong, and patients have suffered from it.  A

>misadministration where too little radiation is delivered results either in

>the disease/condition worsening, leading possibly to a patient dying, or the

>disease/condition recurs.  If too much radiation is delivered, the patients

>may die, either singly or in groups.  Most Nuclear Medicine overdoses have

>not been fatal, although some have (e.g., mCi delivered instead of

>microcuries).  There have also been therapeutic misadministrations,

>exemplified by instances in the US (Ohio, 1975), Spain (1990), Costa Rica

>(1996) and Panama (2001) where calculational errors occurred and patients

>died.  There have also been equipment malfunctions, also leading to patient

>deaths.   There have also been at least two instances in the US where

>brachytherapy sources were left inside the patients, resulting in their

>eventual deaths, too.  For several of the therapy misadministrations, these

>were not discovered promptly, and deaths were ascribed to the evolution of

>the patients' disease.  Needless to say, this doesn't correct the

>mistakes...

>(this is my opinion only, and does not represent the official policy of my

>employer).

>J. G. Yusko, CHP

>PA Watershed Conference

>October 5-6, More Info. at

>http://www.pawatersheds.org/2001wsconf

Dear Mr. Yusko:

I think perhaps you are confusing two distinctly different medical

specialties, nuclear medicine and radiation oncology.  Nuclear medicine is

the specialty that utilizes radiopharmaceuticals, and radiation oncology

uses machine-produced therapeutic radiation or therapeutic radiation from

sealed sources of radioactive material.  Big difference.  Different

residency programs, different levels of administered radiation absorbed dose

(nuclear medicine is 99.5% diagnostic), different levels of malpractice

insurance, different dosimetry considerations, etc.

Lumping them together is like lumping submarines and aircraft carriers

because they are both boats.

Ciao, Carol

Carol S. Marcus, Ph.D., M.D.

<csmarcus@ucla.edu>