RE: questions

Response follows

The following is individual opinion, and should not be taken as official on

any level; if the government wants me to have an official opinion they can

issue me one.

Dave Neil

neildm@id.doe.gov

Response:

	Kaczinski was at large for years before he was captured with aid of

a tip on his location and identity.  McVeigh left a trail a Brownie could

have followed.  (Note to our non-US members - a Brownie is a very young Girl

Scout/ Girl Guide/ etc.)  Milosevich had lost popular support and couldn't

"go to ground".

	Saddam Hussein hid behind women and children when Desert Storm was

going on, or he might not be around anymore (or maybe the political analysts

figure his replacement would be worse).  Bin Laden hadn't p**sed us off

enough until now, if he was in fact behind the attacks - not actually proven

yet that I've heard of -, and had been sheltered in sympathetic countries.

	The policy articulated by the Bush Administration of holding

countries which give 'aid and comfort' to the perpetrators responsible for

their acts shows promise, if it can be implemented effectively.  The ideal

would be for them to be handed over to the US and put on trial as criminals,

rather than being killed in a military action.  The former trivializes any

political connections to their act; the latter makes martyrs of them.  Even

trial in an international court may send the wrong message on a geopolitical

level.  They should be tried in a US court (with international observers) as

common criminals, and treated as such on conviction - no fanfare, just a

quiet IV of NoSalt(tm) solution.