Re: NPP containment strength

In a message dated 9/13/01 11:03:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time, welch@jlab.org
writes:

Subj:Re: NPP containment strength
Date:9/13/01 11:03:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time
From:    welch@jlab.org (Keith Welch)
Sender:    owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

I remember seein an interesting set of photos (but can't remember the
publication - Nuclear News, maybe) of a test of containment strength.  A
large block of containment-type concrete was used as a target for a jet
crash.  If I remember, something resembling a
fighter jet was "launched" along a track under jet power and slammed into the
block at very high speed.  The jet disentigrated, and the block was barely
scratched.  This is obviously not a thorough test of a complete structure,
but it confirms the capability
of the structural material.
==========

Radsafe

It's likely that the fanatics who planned the recent attacks realized  that
attacking a nuclear power plant using a commercial airliner would not achieve
the structural damage, loss of life, consequences, and shock value they hoped
to achieve. They may be fanatics but they are shrewd and calculating
fanatics, and wanted to achieve maximum shock value in showing US
"vulnerability" by striking out and cutting off the "head of the snake" [to
use their rhetoric].

The past few day's tragic events would likely have been far less tragic if
the terrorists had mistakenly  thought they could achieve their "goals" by
crashing a commercial jet into a commercial nuclear power plant containment.
After the dust had settled at an NPP and the external fires burned out, there
would most likely have been substantial onsite damage, total destruction of
the plane and loss of all passengers, many onsite injuries and deaths, but
not the incredibly massive, and tragic loss of life being uncovered at the
World Trade Center. We can only pray more people are pulled alive from the
rubble.

In any case, let's all hope steps are quickly taken to heighten security both
on the ground and in the air to be sure such a thing never, ever happens
whether as an act of  incomprehensible terrorism  or from the acts of a
deranged individual.

Stewart Farber
Public Health Sciences
email: SAFarberMSPH@cs.com