Re: risk perception

I just flew from Las Vegas to Albuquerque on Southwest -- I got the flight I was originally booked on, it left pretty much on time, not all seats were filled, carryons were allowed (some people even had two).  The biggest problem was the wait to get to the ticket counter.  I waited 2 hours in line (but then I flew on Friday, the first day flights were resumed)

Security is improved.  An obvious problem, that has been commented on, is that the rent-a-cops who do the security screening are paid about $6/hour and leave for better jobs as soon as they can.  The security folks need to be much better paid and better trained, and we need to have air marshals on planes.  I have noticed (I fly a LOT) that in most airports you don't go through security when changing planes, even when changing airlines.  Moreover, when you come back from abroad (or at least when I did) , you go through customs and passport control, but not a metal detector.

I don't think anyone would mind the delays if they really had confidence in the security.

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com