Re: query from Bernard L.Cohen

BERNARD L COHEN wrote:

>         Can someone explain why, instead of all the extreme measures with

> air travel and closing Washington National Airport, they don't simply

> require that cockpit doors be locked and perhaps someone in the cockpit

> have a gun? Wouldn't this do all that is required?

> Bernard L. Cohen

> Physics Dept.

> University of Pittsburgh

> Pittsburgh, PA 15260

> Tel: (412)624-9245

> Fax: (412)624-9163

> e-mail: blc+@pitt.edu

Here's an idea with regards to cockpit doors and arming pilots on airplanes.

Why have a door between the cockpit and the cabin at all? Planes presently

have doors that are suppose to be locked and time after time they've been

shown to not be a deterrent to hijacking. Why not reconfigure the planes so

there would be no access to the cockpit from the cabin, i.e. a solid steel

bulkhead. The pilots would enter the plane from a side door from outside at

the beginning of the flight and that's where they would stay, fully protected

from terrorists, crazy passengers, etc. Obviously, a restroom would have to be

accessible to the pilots, but why else do they need access to the main cabin

or vice-versa except to get some of that wonderful airline food? Personally, I

think it's a better solution than having guns onboard. When flying at

35-40,000 feet, the depressurization caused by a gun being fired, I would

think, could be just as deadly as a bomb.

Jim Bell

Adco Services, Inc.