Re: Suitcase nukes

Hello radsafers:

     From:   JPreisig@aol.com

     I am sorry to hear about all the devastation in the Washington, DC area,
Pennsylvania and New York City.  I hope more lives can be saved.  The explosions
involved, dropping great distances and the landing of considerable concrete
and steel on these victims makes me think that not many more survivors
will be found.

    The topic of suitcase nukes was raised a while ago on the radsafe
website.  Consult the archives for what was said.  I had seen a report on
60 Minutes (another radsafe person said it was on another TV program) where
a Russian General suggested that 20 suitcase-sized nuclear weapons were
not accounted for in the Russian (or USSR???) inventory.  I assume that these
missing weapons are on the market.  Clearly some terrorist groups could
afford one or more.  I guess the weapon yields would be relatively low, due
to the small size of the weapon.

    Clearly, if people can get massive quantities of drugs past the US
government, then a suitcase-sized device wouldn't be too hard to get into
the USA.  If one or more are already here is another matter.  The US
government has means of isolating such devices.

     Clearly, there is much work to be done in this area.  I am all for
arming pilots and flight crews.  To date these people have been relatively
defenseless.  This should not be the case.      Peace....

                                                      J.R. Preisig, Ph.D.