Re: Contaminated Scaffold Knuckles - Turkey Point

__________________

1. Shipping violation...na.  If you can find a scaffold knuckle that weighs

2 grams then maybe; otherwise, this wouldn't even be considered radioactive

material per the DOT.

2. Violation of NRC regulations re: RAM control: violation against whom?

You're supposing that the vendor is a licensee, may not be the case.

Violation against the entity that used the knuckles and sent back to the

vendor?  You're assuming their unconditional release protocol calls for

surveys in the SAM, they might have used the ol' smear and frisk routine

which would not have seen the contamination.  No survey method in the world

can give anyone 100% assurance that what they release does not contain an

atom or two of byproduct material.

3. Licensing violation by the vendor: maybe, who can tell, they may or may

not even have a license that stipulates that what they send out to various

plants has to be contamination-free.

4. Mexican Legacy: that's gotta be it, great sleuthing!

5. Recycled source: I like #4 better.

6. Lost density gauge?  See #5.  This is much more likely than the scenario

where the knuckles were used on scaffolding at a nuclear power plant as it

is known there are many density gauges which use a mix of Co-60 and Cs-137

as the source...?

That's it for now.  GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Dave

                    The Wilsons

                    <bobw@oz.net>        To:     dpharrison@AEP.COM

                                         cc:     radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

                    09/18/01             Subject:     Re: Contaminated Scaffold Knuckles -

                    01:06 AM             Turkey Point

Hmmmmm?  I suspect there was a shipping violation to start with.  I suspect

that there was also a violation of NRC regulations regarding the control of

radioactive material.  There may have been a licensing  violation of the

vendor, or the facility that previously used the scaffolding knuckles.

Perhaps

this is some more of the legacy radioactivity from Mexico or that last

steel

recycling company that inadvertently recycled a source.  Could this be a

"lost"

density gauge coming back to haunt the public?  It appears to me that this

shows a respectable degree of integrity and a high standard, not something

ridicule.

Bob

dpharrison@AEP.COM wrote:

> I'm interested to know what prompted Turkey Point to notify the NRC for

> finding fixed contamination on 3 out of 2700 scaffold knuckles surveyed

> upon receipt from a vendor...?  (Event #38285, date 9/13/01)  This in

> conjunction with Turkey Point's notification to the NRC a couple of

months

> back concerning 57 dpm loose found in the middle of a stack of rad

postings

> sent to Turkey Point from I believe Byron leads me to believe that they

are

> procedurally bound to notify the NRC for anything they find, no matter

how

> small and inconsequential.  Perhaps TP was bit historically, CYA tactics,

> or whatever.  Reporting an exact amount, such as 9800 dpm on a knuckle as

> measured by a SAM, may not be appopriate unless they actually calibrate

> their SAM with a knuckle instead of a button source 3" off the bottom, or

> they have a calibrated geometry for a knuckle on one of their HPGe's,

which

> may not be beyond the realm of possibility considering their survey

> scrutiny and thoroughness...Personally, I would hesitate sending anything

> to Turkey Point.

> David Harrison

> DC Cook

> The above reflects the views and opinions of the writer and not

necessarily

> those of his employer, AEP.

> radsafe" (no quote marks) in the body of the e-mail, with no subject

line.