Re: What can we do now?? They think out of the box, we mustdo so, too.

RADSTERS,

It doesn't have to be a nuc plant, the desired effect (terror

associated with dispersed radioactive material) can be obtained by

breaching the security at above-ground storage at a number of places.

Dry cask storage, Rocky Flats, etc. are all vulnerable to an attack

(with a small plane for example) that is not probable or planned, yet

could result in dispersed RAM.

I remember a couple of years ago where there were reports of cesium-137

strapped to explosives found in Moscow (or somewhere near there) used in

an extortion attempt.

We shouldn't be scare mongering, but also we must be cognizant of the

potential for radioactive material to be used in ways that are not very

beneficial.  Remember, a significant dose need not be associated with

the terrorist act to get the desired effect of causing fiscal, social,

and psychological damage.  These dispersal problems are also relevant to

biological and chemical agents.

They think out of the box, we must do so, too.

Phil Egidi

phil.egidi@state.co.us

>>> "Jim Nelson" <nelsonjima@HOTMAIL.COM> 09/18/01 08:55PM >>>

Sandy,

I think we are kidding ourselves if we say it can't happen.   It

doesn't

have to involve a nuclear plant.  From my reading, there are apparently

enough nuclear suitcases and the potenntial for dirty bombs to scare

most

people.  Whay are you so secure it will not involve nuclear?  That

thinking

appears to be the same trap we fell into with airliners.

My question was what can we do to be prepared?

Jim Nelson

>From: "Sandy Perle" <sandyfl@EARTHLINK.NET>

>To: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

>Subject: Re: What can we do now??

>Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 14:50:32 -0700

>In my opinion, terrorists need not go after anything remotely related

>to "nuclear" .. This is nothing more than the typical hysteria that

>surrounds the term. Let's assume that the terrorists did crash into

>a containment building. There might have been some immediate

>deaths due to the crash .. the passengers and some on the

>ground. The containment building would probably have held. If not,

>the THREAT of contamination would have loomed for days on end,

>in the media. There would have been fears (similar to TMI). Around

>the Washington, DC and NYC area there are many nuclear plants

>and labs. They didn't go after them. What is the reality .. they

>chose a target where there would be a significant number of

>immediate deaths. There would be greater fears, due to hitting us

>right in our own back yards. Mass destruction, and nothing to do

>with a nuclear plant.

>The next attack, and the next .. won't have anything to do with

>nuclear. They don't need to, to accomplish their goals. They have

>already essentially shut down our aviation, they have affected our

>privacy and other rights, they have caused serious damage to our

>financial institutions. And, nothing to do with a nuclear plant.

>Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 /

(800) 548-5100

sandyfl@earthlink.net

sperle@icnpharm.com

>Costa Mesa, CA 92626

>Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/scperle

>ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Website: http://www.dosimetry.com

>radsafe" (no quote marks) in the body of the e-mail, with no subject

line.

http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp