Re: Airport safety-xrays

Phil,

Granted, your argument has merits regarding the hysteria caused by the events of

last week, however, I think most Americans would agree that a small reasonable

decrease in the freedoms we currently have outweigh the potential benefits.

McCarthyism - not really. Think of the gangs that have infultrated our lands. To

counteract the potential for violence, many schools accross the country have

implemented metal detectors. This has resulted in catching would be criminals

from inflicting harm in our nation's schools. Has anyone ever thought what could

have happened if there had been such devices in Columbine? Santee? After

catching these criminals, preventative measures can be used to educate people to

use their talents in a positive manner.

While Churchill spoke well, as scientists we should know that a little fear is

OK. Fear creates a flight/fight response in the human body. It is perhaps this

flight/fight that will perhaps help us to make a safer world.

I don't pretend to know why these acts occurred. I suppose that is for the

politicians and experts to figure out. All I can say is I believe I was put on

this earth to use my intelligence to save humanity, not destroy it.....

By the way, in case any would be terrorists are reading this.....I don't wish

you any ill will, I don't want to inflame you in any way telling you that these

your acts are because of your radical beliefs....rather I pray for peace and try

to understand why such hatred exists. Take a lesson from us scientists - we came

from all different backgrounds, yet somehow science is our common language that

brings us together.

Thanks,

Yvette Lloyd