Re: Spreadsheet Limitations - Thanks

Thank you all very much for your response.

The general opinion seems to be that a database program such as access would

provide much more data handling and analysis capability.  Several other

options were also provided.  I will look into them all (all are in this

message - up to 1415 on 9/25/01).

The data we have is collected by in one second intervals from a GPS unit and

eight sodium iodide detectors.  The data is logged into a program called

pathfinder where it is exported to an excel file.  In excel the data is

refined and exported to Surfer 7.0 where it can provide us a display of the

response as a function of global position over our survey area.

Our specific method of dealing with the situation now is by splitting the

data into multiple sheets in an excel workbook.  However, the management of

the large number of spreadsheets is difficult (presents some challenges).

MS Access and MySQL come to mind as good databases to use.

Would probably require a fair bit of front end work developing things like

the DB structure and interface, but better for long term managability.

Another quick and dirty method would be to store the data in a text or

binary format file, and use something like perl to extract and analyze

the data.  Quick and dirty, but long term probably a pain in the butt.

If you're set on the spreadsheet thing, you might consider splitting the

data

up over several spreadsheet tab or even separate spreadsheets files and

linking them together using a VB or VBA application to do your analysis.

Eugene Mah

I am no computer expert, but to sounds to me that a spreadsheet program may

not be what you need.  A database program (e.g., Access) would be able to

handle the data and probably provide many more features  to automatically

evaluate and report the data.

I think it used Paradox that I used during the Fort St Vrain decommissioning

to, at the click of a mouse, accept downloaded data from field

instrumentation and data from laboratory counting equipment, group the data

into the appropriate population to define the survey units, statistically

evaluate, report outliers for further evaluation and generate the tabular

portion of the final report.

Gerald Rood

The simplistic answer is that you may need to go to a relational database

(Access or that ilk).  This is especially true if you are carrying a lot of

redundant calculations in your spreadsheet columns.

By going relational, you can break up your datasets, cross-reference them,

and then create your output as you need to.

Jim Barnes, CHP, RRPT

Recommend using the worksheets within the spreadsheet workbook.  You will

have to break up your data recording to discrete increments to record in the

worksheets.  How much data is associated with each record?  I have built

some complex spreadsheets to perform a number of functions within our

organization can not give you much more advice without knowing more

information.  I've found that at some point a spreadsheet when used to track

data needs to be converted to a database due to the clunkiness associated

with pulling reports together and analyzing the information.

Greg Larson

I would try using a different spreadsheet software program.  I have used

Sigmaplot running with Labview for many experiments that Excel could not

handle.  Not sure how many datapoints you can save, but it is significant.

You may want to look at other programs as well.

Jason Harris

Your best bet is to convert the data into a database such as Microsoft

Access.  This also provides you with much more powerful data analysis

capabilities.

Fritz Strydom

I would think you will need to switch to a different tool.  Possibly, use a

database to collect the datasets and link the spreadsheets to the tables in

the database to perform your data reduction/analysis.

George Crowley

We have had similar problems at our facility and finally made the transition

over to using an Access database.  The nice thing about Access is that it is

very compatible with excel and other software.  Hope this helps

Dave Schoep

Try the new version of File Maker Pro.  It should be able to

handle it.

Tom Shelley

Yes - An Excel workbook can be set up with multiple "spreadsheets". You can

set up one spreadsheet for water, one for soil, and one for air sample data.

Another spreadsheet can be setup for data manipulation and summary

presentation. Computer technology is often only limited by human

imagination.

Tom Bracke

Lacking any information on how you are collecting, importing and processing

the data, it's hard to give you any specific suggestions. The things that

come immediately to mind are:

* Put the data in arrays rather than a single column. Then a single sheet

can hold 16+ million data points.

* Segment the data into smaller chunks, process the chunks and then process

the processed data.

Rick Edwards, Analyst

I asked our resident statistician/programmer/CHP/CIH/CSP if this could be

accomplished in Access instead. His response follows.

"Access will accommodate the hundreds of thousands of records you are

talking about.  Access 95 had a limit of 1 gigabyte for the size of any

individual database, I think.  In Access 2000, the maximum individual

database size is 2 gigabytes.  You can have 255 columns (or fields) per

database table, and no table can exceed 1 gigabyte.  Since you can link one

database with another then total data storage is limited to the storage

capacity of the computer equipment.  When queries are properly configured,

number crunching in Access is quite fast also, but not as fast as in Excel.

It is possible to do most things in Access that most people do in Excel

simply through the use of queries and macros (without Visual Basic

programming).  When it comes to drawing charts and graphs, Access can do it,

but I would suggest that you instead export the appropriate data (either

directly or automatically through a macro) into Excel and let it do the

charts.  Tables containing massive amounts of data in Access (too large for

Excel) can be processed (and reduced) and then exported to Excel to do the

charting.

 For certain kinds of processing, Excel is better suited for the job than

Access.  If the amount of data does not overload Excel or can be given to

Excel in segments, then it is reasonably easy to make Access and Excel

communicate with effectively two-way communication.

 Let me point out that Excel can have up to (I think) 255 worksheets per

workbook and workbooks can also be linked together.  However, I have noticed

that when Excel is handling huge amounts of data, there seems to be a

threshold above which Excel slows down to an unacceptable crawl-perhaps when

all the RAM memory is used up and virtual memory is utilized.  Also, you may

find Excel occasionally saying that there is not enough memory.  I guess

there are some things that require RAM memory only."

Jack Earley

There are two ways to deal with this, both involve macros.  A simple macro

will allow you to place the information vertically but observe it

horizonally over the range of the screen, i.e., it is always viewed

horizonally.  Another is a bit more involved.  It requires a standalone

macro that collects and enters the data in a very simple spreadsheet.

Calculations are performed in Excel by either calling Excel by the macro or

having Excel call the data.

Joe Alvarez

Microsoft Access or some other database

Ian Fraser

A database might be a solution for such a large amount of data. Access or

Oracle would be possible solutions depending on how the data is accessed or

manipulated.

Louie Cueva