Re: Seeking reference materials on Pu, U, and Th

The best general reference on the behavior of these elements is Katz, Seaborg, and Morss CHEMISTRY OF THE ACTINIDES (1986).  It is out of print but most universities and technical libraries have it.  Other than that, I would check out Chemical Abstracts, which is now on the web, I believe.  A great many papers have been published on actinide chemistry of all sorts.

I'm not sure what you mean by "mobility."  The solubility of actinide oxides has a minimum around pH 8-9 and increases rather sharply at both higher and lower pH.   Pu is unique in that has four stable oxidation states (2, 3, 4, and 6), allowing formation of a large number of complexes and compounds.  Carbonate complexes of essentially all actinides are fairly soluble.

This is just a very superficial discussion.  If you consult a citation index, some of the authors I would look for, in addition to Glenn Seaborg, are Gregory Choppin, David Clark, Wolfgang Runde, Cynthia Phillips, Robert Pahl, Dhanpat Rai, and Andrew Felmy.

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com