RE: HIGH-TECH SECURITY TOOLS GET A SECOND LOOK

Jerry,

I should have added that the NCRP 116 proposes an annual public dose limit

of 100 mrem (1 mSv) per year is for continuous.  For infrequent exposure,

like x-ray scanners, it is 5 mSv.  For the skin, again for the scanners

under consideration, the limit is 50 mSv per year.

My feeling will come down to strip-searching all passengers, or asking them

to be scanned by the machine.  Which would you take?  I also believe that

the term "radiation" will be lost in the discussions with the security

staff, as it has been in dealing nuclear medicine technicians.

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist

3050 Traymore Lane