From: David_S_Hyder@RL.GOV [mailto:David_S_Hyder@RL.GOV]
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2001 11:04 AM
To: magna1@jps.net; radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu
Subject: Franz - RE: X-ray of packages and containers

Franz,

You wrote:

"We have the ALARA principle and at least in

Europe we have a legislation, which prohibits the deliberate use of ionizing

radiation on humans for other purposes than medical ones."

The forwarded e-mail to this list yesterday was of an image from Calais.  The last time I looked at a map, France was in Europe.  Would you please explain the "medical application" being used here.  Seems to be a security issue in Europe too.

Thanks Dean,

David Hyder, CHP
(509) 373-9652
David_S_Hyder@rl.gov