Re: X-ray'ing packages and containers - the extreme

Private:

Franz Schoenhofer

Habicherg. 31/7

A-1160 Vienna, AUSTRIA

Phone: -43 699 11681319

e-mail: franz.schoenhofer@chello.at

Office:

MR Dr. Franz Schoenhofer

Federal Ministry for Agriculture, Forestry, Environment and Water Management

Dep. I/8U, Radiation Protection

Radetzkystr. 2

A-1031 Vienna, AUSTRIA

phone: +43-1-71100-4458

fax: +43-1-7122331

e-mail: franz.schoenhofer@bmu.gv.at

>In a message dated 9/27/01 6:04:03 PM Mountain Daylight Time,

>franz.schoenhofer@CHELLO.AT writes:

>> This led

>> me to the postulation that they were IR pictures. In Austria to my

knowledge

>> there are used detectors for carbon dioxide exhaled by illegal immigrants

on

>> lorries or railway waggons.

>It's a little off-topic, but how can you tell the CO2 exhaled by stowaways

>from the CO2  in the vehicle exhaust?

Lorries are inspected by inserting probes (which look like lances) into the

inside of the lorry. They are said to be very sensitive for CO2. There is no

vehicle exhaust during inspection.

Franz