Radsafe Request RE Irradiation of Mail

Group,

I really didn't want to comment on this.  But from another list, much more

oriented to practical problems, someone asked about it because she has

gotten questions from the public.

So far many of the comments seem to be split between the, "Don't be silly

camp..." and those that are asking or suggesting irradiation.

My feeling is it is probably a] Not likely to be effective due to a very

high dose needed for spores, time required, the fact that some other

material being mailed might suffer radiation damage, etc. and b] it is not

currently warranted because of the cost versus the fact that there has been

only one death, and a very few cases of actual anthrax and a few dozen

exposures.

That said it is very scary to a lot of people.  Someone said there were more

deaths from shark attacks.  True, but one can not swim at all [over

reaction] or not swim in areas posted as a hazard for shark attack or not

swim where there have been shark attacks [a reasonable response] or ignore

it entirely [under reaction].

But the fact is people are asking some of us about it and I would very much

appreciate any hard information [NOT OPINION] such as the dose it would

require, if known or doses tried but found to be ineffective.  Also of

interest might be cost information on irradiation units and through put.

As a Professional, I hope, I would like to respond in a reasonable and

informed manner if asked.  So far I have not been.

As I said I think it is impractical and probably ineffective and an over

reaction.  But if asked I'd rather say it takes X dose, facilities to

provide X dose would cost Y Billions, etc.

If anybody has access to such information I would appreciate it.

An example is the link Jim Hardeman just provided to the Jerusalem Post.

Thanks Jim.

Any opinions expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily represent those

of the Denver VA Medical Center, The Department of Veterans Affairs, or the

U.S. Government.

Peter G. Vernig

Radiation Safety Officer, VA Medical Center, 1055 Clermont St. Denver, CO

80220, ATTN; RSO MS 115

303-399-8020 ext. 2447, peter.vernig@med.va.gov [alternate for business -

vernig.peter@forum.va.gov; private - peter_vernig@hotmail.com] Fax

303-393-5026 [8 - 4:30 MT service] Alternate Fax 303-377-5686

"...whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is

pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is found to be

excellent or praiseworthy, let your mind dwell on these things."    Paul