Fwd: Sabotage/"Exposive" Meltdowns and ABC News Accuracy

In a message dated 10/22/01 11:32:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time, SAFarberMSPH writes:

Subj:Re: Sabotage/"Exposive" Meltdowns and ABC News Accuracy
Date:10/22/01 11:32:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time
From:SAFarberMSPH
To:radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu, ncohen12@HOME.COM (Norman Cohen)

Radsafe:

The article by an ABC reporter "Amanda Onion" [excerpt below] which was posted to radsafe by Unplug Salem's Norm Cohen will likely bring tears to some folks. This "news" article employes technically erroneous, and sensationalistic imagery concerning nuclear plant sabotage which could it reports:
"trigger an explosive meltdown that could spread radiation for hundreds of miles and trigger lethal health problems, if not immediate death among large populations."

Its always great to be reminded how our mass media report so accurately on PWR and BWR core nucleonics and do their part to reduce hysteria among the general public in a time of real crisis involving bioterrorism and airline suicide bombers against truly vulnerable targets.

The sad reality is that many anti-nuclear activists are spreading this kind of dis- and misinformation, and some of them are so blinded by their misdirected blind  "jihad" against all things nuclear to even believe a nuclear plant can explode like a nuclear weapon. It is clear the propaganda concerning nuclear plant supposed vulnerability by many anti-nuclear activists is distracting the US from dealing with real threats to public health and safety posed by terrorism against such targets as natural gas and LNG tanks, dams, chlorine storage, toxic chemical storage, pipelines, etc., etc. To the extent misdirection of focus is happening,  the anti-nukes themselves represent a real threat to public health and safety.

Stewart Farber, MS Public Health
email: SAFarberMSPH@cs.com
=========
Posted by Norm Cohen: