RE: Sabotage/"Exposive" Meltdowns and ABC News Accuracy

Reading this post invoked a thought I had several years ago but never

pursued (and, unfortunately, can't pursue now but I'll throw it out all the

same).  I think it would be interesting and perhaps draw some media

attention if the HPS (or some other scientific society) were to generate a

yearly "top ten" list of media personalities (reporters, broadcasters, etc.)

that present the most erroneous reports on anything involving radiation.

Such a list may not change the way the media reports (then again, who

knows?) but at least it might draw some attention to the problem.  Send the

results to top networks, CNN, Newsweek, etc., and let them do with it what

they will--the media seems to be fond of lists, especially when their

company fairs better than their competitors).  I'm sure many people would be

surprised at the many of the names that "make" the list.  For folks like me,

I could at least reference it as the collective opinion of informed

scientists on specific media reports.

I appreciate that this would be a fair amount of work but I doubt there

would be shortage of candidates (I suspect many of you are thinking of prime

candidates as you read this).  Haven't worked out any details such as

criteria for ranking, etc. (this is the "work" part) and I can't volunteer

to do so now but if anyone (or any committee or any society newsletter)

wants to run with the idea...

Thoughts?

Jim

James M. Kofler, Ph.D.

Mayo Clinic

Rochester, MN 55905

PS. An extrapolation on the concept would also be to rank the top "most

scientifically accurate" reports involving radiation (this would be more of

a challenge--how many shades of "accurate" are there?)