Re: NCRP 136

John, Bjorn, et al,

    Thanks for your comments on the questions I asked regarding NCRP-136.

Perhaps My questions were not clear. From the title of the report, I assumed

that the objective was to evaluate the linear non-threshold (LNT) model as

opposed to presenting a tutorial on radiation effects. Many excellent

textbooks  give a good overview of that subject and I did not see where this

report revealed any  particularly new insights. However, my question related

to how the information discussed in the body of the report led to the rather

muddled conclusion to the effect that the LNT  dose-response model is

reasonable.

    Questions relating to the efficacy of LNT that were not addressed in the

report include: (1)How to deal with the problem that if, in fact there

really is a dose threshold, it would be impossible to prove its existence ,

(2) why the focus on DNA aberration effects to the exclusion of all other

possible effects such as stimulation of immune response, and (3) why is all

the evidence supporting hormesis rejected (i.e. not reflected) in the

conclusions?