RE: Edward Radford (1922-2001)

Some courts have upheld the ALARA principle as the standard of care.

There's a good article in the September 2001 HP Journal (by Wiedis, Jose,

and Komer) that compares different court interpretations of the ALARA

principle and its applicability to a defendant's standard of care.  In cases

where the court determines that ALARA is the standard of care, it is

virtually impossible to defend, due to it's extreme subjectivity.  And of

course, any radiation exposure and the diseases associated with it

inherently invokes sympathy for the plaintiff(s).

Rodney Bauman, CHP, RRPT

Bechtel Jacobs Company, LLC

Project Health Physicist

ETTP and Y-12 Waste Operations