Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2001 2:39 PM
Subject: Re: NCRP 136

John,
    Unfortunately, I can't disagree you. I guess that the life of a regulator is pretty easy. I know of no instance where a regulator has been jailed, fired, or reprimanded in any way for overregulating. As you suggest, Congress has essentially given them a license to do so. The sad part of all this is that all of the money and other limited resources  squandered in controlling non-problems, might actually do some good if it were directed toward areas of actual risk that have no political constituancy. "The squeaking hinge gets the oil."     Jerry