RE: The Times

Dear Franz and Radsafers:

IMHO, the Times article is surprisingly well documented and unbiased, when compared to most that is published nowadays.

Mr Laden's link to 'missing' suitcase nukes was claimed as long ago as 1999 on the Jerusalem Post (as posted on RADSAFE) and was

reported again by CNN TV a day or two ago: 'experts' reported that Mr Lebed reported 85 to 125 'demolition' gadgets were missing.

The same CNN story reported (among other rumors) the finding of a Cs137 source in in Moscow waste basket and showed a cheap gamma

meter going off-scale.

Certainly those who know do not talk. Since I do not know, let me talk:

I find it hard to believe that nuclear weapons, anywhere, might have been lost, stolen, or sold to non-state terrorists.

I find it quite possible that cheap gamma sources may have fallen in the wrong hands: they are (were) not much more difficult to

secure than anthrax spores.

Maybe a year ago the Japanese PM received a 'radioactive' letter: it contained, I was told, natU.

I agree that there is a great potential for hysteria here. We should be prepared. Unlike bacilli, gamma sources are easy to find.

Marco Caceci

http://radal.com