RE: Decision time!

Ruth:

Thanks for the test report info.  I had heard there was such a test.  Glad to get the specifics.  I'll try to get the report.

But to be scientific, we have to refuse to use the cancers/rem number at low dose, and certainly not give any consideration to "person-rems collective dose."  Think about it:  Suppose 250,000 computer geeks go to a ComDex conference at Denver, or some such high-natural-rad location.  They each get ~5mrem for the incoming flt and 5 more going home.  And they pick up an additional 400 rem/yr divided by 50 = 8mrem for the week in Denver.  Total = 250 x 18 = 4500 person-rem.  Are we really going to argue that we slaughtered 2 people with this collective dose?  Even if I did the arithmetic wrong, the concept has been completely discredited by Jaworowski's better examples.

If we're going to argue this case at all, let's base it on the data, which says nobody gets hurt by such low doses.  Not that the probability is low, or that the number of injured is too small to show up in the background.  But simply that the data show that LDR does not hurt people.  Period.

Ted Rockwell