RE: News story mail irradiation -Titan

Based on research by the Armed Forces Radiobiology Research Institute the

necessary dose to kill the anthrax bacillus spores is approximately 54 kGy =

5.4 Mrads. A reference approved for public release on this research is:

"Neutron and Gamma-Ray Radiation Killing of Bacillus Species Spores:

Dosimetry, Quantitation, and Validation Techniques," by Ledney, GD, Knudson,

GB, Harding, RA, Bhatt, RC, Kearsley, EE, and JA Zmuda. Technical Report

96-1, Armed Forces Radiobiology Research Institute, 8901 Wisconsin Ave,

Bethesda, Maryland 20889-5603.

I am actually more concerned as to the delay it will cause in routine mail

delivery.  Are we adding one day, two days or three days to the delivery of

First Class Mail?  What about Priority Mail, has this become a dinosaur?

Will such treatment be required for Fed Ex, Emory, UPS overnight mail?

Forget the 100 micron size holes in envelopes, what about the holes in the

relative risk evaluation?

The thoughts expressed are mine, mine, all mine!

I'm with the government, I'm here to help........

Daren Perrero, Health Physicist

perrero@idns.state.il.us