MRI & implanted electronic devices

A word of warning about implanted electronic devices before

placing the patient in MR scanner.  Be certain as to the

exact nature of the device.

I have an implanted automatic cardioverter-defibrillator,

which also has pacemaker function.  It was placed earlier

this year, so is a current model.  The patient instruction

manual was not clear on its sensitivity to magnetic field,

so I checked with the manufacturer.  Their engineers told

me that it was safe at a little more than 5 gauss--but

nothing like 1.5 tesla.  This is a more sophisticated

device than a simple pacemaker.  So be sure!

A death was reported a few years ago from an intracranial

aneurysm clip.  The patient had sudden symptoms while being

placed in the scanner.  The surgeon who placed the clip had

been contacted and stated that it was new and not

ferromagnetic.  Removal at at autopsy revealed that it was

an older type, and was ferromagnetic.

We now get a copy of the operation report before putting

such a patient in the scanner.

S. Julian Gibbs, DDS, PhD               Voice: 615-322-1477

Professor, Emeritus                       FAX: 615-322-1474

Dept. of Radiology & Radiological Sciences

Vanderbilt University Medical Center     Home: 615-356-3615

209 Oxford House        Email:s.julian.gibbs@vanderbilt.edu

Nashville TN 37232-4245     or alias:j.gibbs@vanderbilt.edu                                    j.gibbs@vanderbilt.edu

Journalist's adage, oft ignored: If your mother

tells you she loves you, check it out.

              Nashville Tennesseean

              September 17, 2001