RE: Rad Worker Layoff??

Tom,

I've looked at all the responses to your question and have a slightly

different answer. We don't see many therapeutic applications, but do have a

lot of employees who undergo nuclear medicine studies (heart, bones,

thyroid, etc.)  Our initial response is to remove the primary dosimeter from

the individual until the activity has decayed to the point that the

individual can pass through a portal monitor without triggering it.

Depending on the nuclide used and the amount injected, it takes from 2 to 30

days before the individual can put their primary dosimeter on again.

If the individual is needed to work a job in a posted radiological area

during the time the nuclide is decaying, we issue a temporary dosimeter and

maintain a record of the times and places the dosimeter was worn.  We then

determine what portion of the dose recorded is medical and subtract it from

the total to determine the occupational dose.

If an individual required longer-term therapeutic radiation treatments that

would preclude wearing a dosimeter for a longer period, the individual would

either be given a non-Rad job or, I think, be treated the same as an

employee who could not work due to back surgery, open heart surgery, etc.

They would be placed on short-term disability and would normally receive the

equivalent of full pay during their absence.

Paragraphs one and two are "informed" opinion, paragraph three is plain

opinion.

Les Aldrich, CHP

Fluor Hanford Site Technical Authority

External Dosimetry