Project/research Topics

I am looking for suggestions to add to a list of possible topics for undergraduate students in a Nuclear Medicine Technology and X-ray technology program to pursue. I would like any ideas that relate to radiation protection and the field of Radiation Safety in hospital and university settings. Keep in mind these are undergraduate students, not PHd or Masters. Some I have included in a list include:

1. Comparing detector efficiencies of the same type of survey meter for various isotopes.

2. Radiation Dose to porters who are transporting patients or shipments from Nuclear Medicine.

3. Contact Dose Rates from patients in Nuc Med from various procedures.

4. X-ray exposures to staff from different procedures at different distances (Portable units)

5. Efficiency of wipes for different material and different surfaces.

6. Eye exposures compared to whole body dose readings.

7. ? ? ?

I think you get the idea. I thought I could tap into the radsafe community to add some ideas tio a list for the students to choose and develop. You can email me directly with ideas. Thank You.

Gary Wilson

Radiation Safety Office

Capital District Health Authority (QEII Site)

Bethune Building, Room B-32

1278 Tower Road

Halifax, Nova Scotia, B3M 1M9

phone (902) 473-2767