Re: Project/research Topics

On Mon, 01 Oct 2001 08:41:56 -0300 "Gary Wilson"

<Gary.Wilson@cdha.nshealth.ca> writes:

> I am looking for suggestions to add to a list of possible topics for

> undergraduate students in a Nuclear Medicine Technology and X-ray

> technology program to pursue. I would like any ideas that relate to

> radiation protection and the field of Radiation Safety in hospital

> and university settings. Keep in mind these are undergraduate

> students, not PHd or Masters. Some I have included in a list include:

> 1. Comparing detector efficiencies of the same type of survey meter

> for various isotopes.

> 2. Radiation Dose to porters who are transporting patients or

> shipments from Nuclear Medicine.

> 3. Contact Dose Rates from patients in Nuc Med from various

> procedures.

> 4. X-ray exposures to staff from different procedures at different

> distances (Portable units)

> 5. Efficiency of wipes for different material and different surfaces.

> 6. Eye exposures compared to whole body dose readings.

> 7. ? ? ?

	One which I often get is:  "What kind of radiation dose does the

Mammography Tech (or Ultrasound Tech) get from a Nuc. Med. patient who

has just been injected for a bone scan (or other scan) but is waiting for

four hours before having the scan taken, and is having a mammogram (or

ultrasound scan) done in the meantime?"

Bob Scott, RSO

Roger Williams Medical Center

Providence, Rhode Island