AW: Manipulator Port Decontamination

Dave,

our manipulator ports had nearly the same dimensions, and we found only one

way - supercompacting and filled into waste drums.

But based on 10 year decommissioning experince of our Hot-Cell-Building we

found the most effective way to decontaminate steel parts is steel blasting.

We did this also with tubes from german NPP's. After blasting, the tubes

were free of contamination and the waste drums showed dose rates of some

mSv/h.

Blasting with soft particles like dry-ice or even nutshells could remove

only paint or grease and oil layers.

Hope this helps.

Peter

Peter Hewing