RE: Manipulator Port Decontamination

Dave,

There are various processes that you could use:

Ice blasting - uses ice pellets - good for surface contamination, but does

produce contaminated liquid.

Dry ice blasting - uses frozen CO2 pellets - also good for surface

contamination and essentially a dry process with little waste other than the

removed material

Bead blasting - uses plastic beads - can remove some of the material below

the surface - produces solid waste

Sponge blasting - uses sponge impregnated with abrasive - removes various

amounts of material depending on the grit of the abrasive, produces solid

waste

Hydrolasing - uses high pressure water - can remove material below the

surface, but may cause damage (cuts, holes) if not used carefully, produces

liquid waste

Chemical decontamination - various chemicals are available that can remove

contamination on and below surfaces (EPRI has done a lot of work on this),

may not be good for carbon steel - produces liquid or solid (resin beds)

waste

Web searches on the above would probably locate equipment vendors or

contractors for you.

Regards,

Ben

ben.morgan@pgnmail.com