LNT, carcinogens, collective doses etc

 >If  Government and scientific bodies wish to apply LNT and ALARA (ALARP

for us UK based individuals) to radiation, why do they not apply the same

approach to all other carcinogens?  We do not use the concept of collective

dose for

 > other carcinogens, if we did how many excess cancers could we calculate

from, for example, Benzene which is present in petrol?

----

Some such calculations have been performed for ethylene oxide (including

endogenous production) and certain food preparation (frying) carcinogens

like acrylamide or benzpyrene types of molecules. These give an estimated

order of 5000 cancer cases per year in Sweden - probably more - I don't have

the numbers available at this moment of writing - must get some (fried) fast

food and close for today.

Bjorn Cedervall    bcradsafers@hotmail.com

http://www.geocities.com/bjorn_cedervall/