[Fwd: RE: Industrial Radiography]

I realize that it's a little overwhelming posting this multiple exchange

all at once, but I wanted to be sure to have Steve's permission to post

his response.  I am grateful to Steve for presenting a regulator's point

of view.  My experience, in general, is that IL has one of the best, if

not the best of the Agreement State programs.  Regulators from other

states, as well as the NRC, should benchmark what they do.

The only part of Steve's response where I'd like to comment is his

remarks on enforcement.  I don't know any more about the incident than

Steve, and this could be a case of a rogue individual in an otherwise

good licensee.  My experience,  however, is that such cases are the

exception, and fines and other enforcement actions for licensees other

than nuclear power plants seem to be short of even a good "slap on the

wrist."  I do not think that it's overly harsh to suspend the company's

license until it demonstrates credible corrective action.  If this

individual is the exception, that shouldn't be hard to demonstrate.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton

liptonw@dteenergy.com

"Collins, Steve" wrote:

May I see your reply first?  If permission is granted, it may be

necessary

to add a disclaimer as follows:  "These comments are mine and do not

necessarily represent those of my employer."