Re: Industrial Radiography Accidents

You are of course right and this is of course a very good idea!  Even I

thought of it - so it MUST be good!!! <grin>

BUT - what you will hear back from the field is that this equipment is

usually un powered!  Made to be used in ANY field conditions.  Also -

the equipment is treated VERY badly - thus why sources so often stick in

the guide tubes (kind of like portable x-ray machines are treated in

hospitals!).

There is a great resistance to change in the industry!  For the very

occasional need for flexibility of free operation - they want the

cameras ALWAYS unencumbered by any sort of safety "accessories".  IF

they were put on - they would be quickly be "accidentally" broken off.

I am on the ANSI writing committee for the OPERATIONAL standard for

industrial radiography and it is VERY frustrating.  The controls are ALL

administrative because the equipment is SO primitive!

Realize - if a phosphor were put in the shield right up next the the

parked source and the light were light piped out through twists and

turns in the shield - there would be enough light for a very clear and

non powered (or self powered if you will) indication that the source was

indeed parked.

Even that would meet with resistance.

Like I said - its frustrating.  I don't even bother to offer suggestions

any more!

I'm glad we don't do that here - and seldom have radiographers in.

I think the solution MAY be in making some regulatory tradeoffs -

instead of the "pile it on" method currently used.

For instance.  For standard equipment - shorter license periods, more

inspections, more record keeping, more training and more often.  BUT -

IF they have an indication device such as you suggest - or the phosphor

method I mentioned - BACK OFF on the above.

Unfortunately in today's regulatory atmosphere - the rules put in place

by lawyers stay in force - no matter what more advanced and secure

methods you use.

I look at it this way:

Under current regs an operation using ONLY administrative controls is

permitted - while recognizing that engineered controls are better and

suggested.  THUS stating that administrative in lieu of engineered

control is acceptable.

YET - an operation with total engineered controls is NOT acceptable -

thus engineered controls in lieu of administrative controls is NOT

accepted.

So - why bother to spend the money on and suffer the limitations of

engineered controls!