RE: Consequences of attack on nuclear facility

All we can do is respond with the facts.

>>=====================================

>>Special Report

>>Nuclear Safety

>>by Matt Bivens

Is this the Matt Bivens that was the Editor at the Moscow Times until last

January?

>>What happens if a suicide bomber drives a jumbo jet into one of America's

103

>>nuclear power reactors? What happens if a fire fed by thousands of tons

of jet

>>fuel roars through a reactor complex--or, worse, through the enormous and

>>barely-protected containment pools of spent nuclear fuel found at every

such

>>plant?

>From www.boeing.com a 747-400, which is the largest commercial jet that came

to mind, can hold about 54,000 gallons of jet fuel.  This would give it a

range of 7,300 miles or approximately Los Angeles to Sydney.  54,000 gallons

of jet fuel weighs about 200 tons.  And, the airline folks don't like to

waste money by flying extra fuel (weight) around.   So, thousands of tons of

jet fuel equals millions of pounds of just fuel (not including the weight of

the jet), a 747-400 has a maximum take off weight of 875,000 pounds.

>> The 767s that hit the trade

>>center weighed 150 tons, and were probably moving at top speed.

While he probably got the weight about correct, the speed was a little above

300 miles per hour.  Cruising speed on a 767 is 580 miles per hour at 35,000

feet.  Remember, speed equals lift and I saw the tapes, those planes were

nowhere near maximum speed.

>>Do we ship it all to a central site like the one proposed for

>>Yucca Mountain--and create a spectacular series of terrorist targets for

>>years, turning trains and trucks of waste into what critics deride as

>>"Mobile Chernobyl"?

The people on this list know how those containers are tested.  How would

they breach a TRU-PAC II or a spent fuel shipping container?

Just my thoughts,

David Hyder, CHP

(509) 373-9652

David_S_Hyder@rl.gov