Private:

Franz Schoenhofer

Habicherg. 31/7

A-1160 Vienna, AUSTRIA

Phone: -43 699 11681319

e-mail: franz.schoenhofer@chello.at

Office:

MR Dr. Franz Schoenhofer

Federal Ministry for Agriculture, Forestry, Environment and Water Management

Dep. I/8U, Radiation Protection

Radetzkystr. 2

A-1031 Vienna, AUSTRIA

phone: +43-1-71100-4458

fax: +43-1-7122331

e-mail: franz.schoenhofer@bmu.gv.at

Dear RADSAFErs,

The top selling newspaper in Austria, "Kronen-Zeitung" (Crown-Newspaper),

which originates from the times we had "crowned heads" in Austria, had today

the following headlines: "300 m high protection zone - Steel Cages for

Nuclear Power Plants". On page 4 was an article about an "unconventional"

proposal of pilots to the Bavarian Minister of the Interior, how to protect

nuclear power plants from terrorist attacks: Steel cages should protect

nuclear power plants. The minister spoke about an accumulation of proposals

which are associated with Science Fiction. But according to Kronen-Zeitung

he considers to order expertises, what can be done in short time for the

protection of nuclear power plants. The pilots advocate a "plantation" of

300 m high steel bars around the 150 m high nuclear power plants. This would

result in the impossibility for suicide commands to hit the power plants

precisely.

The Germans investigate according to Kronen-Zeitung the proposal, to protect

nuclear power plants by installing anti-aircraft rockets at each nuclear

power plant. The same is considered by the Czech Republic.

You think, that this is funny enough and one of the best hoaxes ever

published in a news paper? No, the story is not finished yet!

On page 5, the paper shows a computer simulation of such a steel cage

protecting a nuclear power plant, put on top of a real photograph of a

nuclear power station, which is obviously of the Russian WWR type. The way

it is shown I - who has no idea about statics - am sure that it is not only

not possible to erect such a structure, but if so, it would fall down at

once even without any wind blowing. Secondly - believe it or not - the cage

is around the four cooling towers shown in the foreground. The housing of

the nuclear reactor is easily discernable in the background and about half

amile from the cooling towers and the cage...... Once again for you who

might have missed the point: The nuclear reactor, which has to be protected

from air plane attack is   o u t s i d e   of the cage!!!!!

I hope you laugh about the story - what can we do else about the ignorance

of mass media?

Franz