RE: Radiation hypersensitivity

Dear Radsafers

Allergy and hypersensitivity are medical terms , that refer to disordes of

the immune system, characterized by overactivity of the immune system .  It

is very inaccurate to use those terms in the context of ionizing radiation

because IR dose right the opposite and supress the activity of the immune

system.

therefore the berrylium example is not in place - it is a hypersensitivity

reaction of the immune system.

 The correct term is RADIOSENSITIVITY, and the Ataxia Telangiectasia example

is the correct one, because the mechanism of radioseneitivity in this case

is a defect of the DNA repair mechanism , the critical step in the

development of radiation injury and radiation (ionizing) carcinogenesis.

Yet, those defects, like AT  gene, are relatively rare, and such rare

abnormalities can explain only a small fraction of the excess cancer due to

low-level ionizing radiation.

The question of "safe" levels (perhaps even beneficial levels) of ionizing

radiation exposure , will be answered by research of the molecular

mechanisms of radiation injury and carcinogenicity. in the meantime we are

left with the uncertainties of epidemiological research. So let's keep the

speculations on small fire... and correct scientific terms...

 Dov (Dubi) Brickner  M.D.

Beer Sheva , ISRAEL